The Academic Administrative Assistant is commonly the second administrative support position in an academic and administrative department; the Academic Administrative Assistant may be the primary administrative support position for an academic department who assume responsibility for some of the administrative support responsibilities or for all academic programs within an academic department. The Academic Administrative Assistant performs administrative support duties common to academic departments as determined by the department head and works with a number of administrative and financial processes.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE QUALIFICATIONS
Education/Experience: Degree in Education.
- Keyboarding skills are required. A working knowledge of word processing and spreadsheet applications is required. Must have a working knowledge of or the ability to learn and use database applications, the web content management system, the administrative business system or enterprise resource planning system, and other systems or applications that may be used within the academy or department. Must know how to operate and troubleshoot electronic office equipment, computers, and peripherals, maintain moderately complex filing systems and records, and make mathematical calculations. Effective verbal and written communication skills are required. Must be able to train, assign work, and review the work of student workers. The ability to develop knowledge of, respect for, and skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds is required.
- Effort: Administrative support positions are primarily sedentary. Administrative support positions require extensive keyboarding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides administrative support to an academic department by providing reception services, scheduling appointments, meetings, and travel, filing, researching files and reports, and preparing and proofreading correspondence, reports, and other documents as requested.
2. Assists department by answering questions and providing information, locating desired information and materials, typing, collating, or otherwise assisting in test preparation, preparing and/or proofreading manuscripts, correspondence, and other material, obtaining desk copies of textbooks, making travel arrangements, and preparing expense reports.
3. Assists students by determining who can best provide information needed by the student, providing basic and initial assistance to students with questions about classes, registration, permissions, etc. using established guidelines and assigning advisors.
4. Supports the work of the department by purchasing equipment and supplies, maintaining an inventory of office supplies, and utilizing the appropriate process to pay for goods or services purchased by the department.
5. Helps to organize and conduct events, as directed, by securing space, equipment, food, preparing invitations, announcements, agendas, brochures, and packets, purchasing awards, making travel arrangements and reservations, and assisting with the event as it occurs.
6. May assist with the collection of credentials and other required material during searches and/or collect applications and admission applications to competitive admission programs.
7. Supports the administrative of the department by obtaining and processing textbook adoptions, creating brochures and newsletters, organizing the academy evaluation process, maintaining and updating the departmental website or databases, preparing personnel action forms and position authorizations as directed, verifying and processing student and part-time employee time records, scheduling the use of classrooms, department facilities, or meeting rooms, and maintaining the security of classrooms, labs, equipment, and records.
8. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
9. Remains competent and current by attending professional development courses, software training classes, and courses and/or training sessions as directed by the Department Head or required by the University.
10. Supports the department by performing all other duties as assigned by the department head.